• Safety and Emergency: Who to call and what to do in an emergency involving electricity, gas, carbon monoxide or any of our assets. Stay safe however you're connected to us.
  • Take it with you

    • Scroll down for our important safety advice.

      As we prepare for the summer holidays rising numbers of us are ditching hotels and resorts for accommodation from private rental websites such as Owners' Direct and AirBnB.

      Our recent research project has shown that most of us aren't prepared when it comes to avoiding the risk of poisoning at privately rented holiday accommodation.

      Phil Clarke, Head of Gas Operations for National Grid’s London Network, said: “Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be fatal and every year we hear of tragedies that could easily have been avoided.

      “Our 'Take it With You' campaign urges holidaymakers to take a small, simple CO alarm with them as a life-saving precaution. Most people are not gas safety experts so the best advice is that they take a CO alarm with them.”

      Our campaign is being supported by the parents of Francesca Dingley, a 22-year-old Bristol University graduate from Surrey who died while on a gap year teaching English in China as a result of carbon monoxide leaking from a faulty boiler.

      Francesca’s father Mark Dingley observed that: “Like many other people these days, I use Owners Direct or AirBNB to book holiday apartments. I have no idea what safety checks have been carried out on these places. And this includes the UK.

      “Taking a CO detector is now an essential travel item for me, my family and our friends but only since what happened to Francesca.”

      Known as the ‘silent killer’ carbon monoxide poisoning kills over 50 people a year in the UK with 4,000 attending hospital with carbon monoxide symptoms. A carbon monoxide detector costs as little as £15 and can easily be transported to holiday or temporary accommodation.

      Our advice:

       
      • Pack a carbon monoxide alarm and take it with you. It could save your life
      • Portable audible alarms cost around £15 and will last for seven to ten years – the same price as a bottle of sun tan lotion and after sun lotion (OR a bottle of suntan lotion and a universal travel plug).
      • Abroad or at home - don’t put your family’s safety in someone else’s hands. Whether staying in a villa, caravan or camping - take it with you.

      FAQs

       
      1. Where can I buy a portable CO alarm?
        Supermarkets, DIY stores and on line.
      2. Aren’t they just for the home?
        NO. Many alarms now state they can be taken on holiday too. Check if they are suitable for caravans, motor homes and boats. They will state if they are not suitable for a particular area.
      3. Where should I place my portable CO alarm?
        Ideally, a CO alarm should be installed in every room containing a fuel burning appliance and every sleeping room. As this will depend on the type of accommodation, we recommend that one is placed in the sleeping rooms/areas.
      4. Where should I put it in a bedroom?
        Alarms located in sleeping rooms should be located relatively close to the breathing zone of the occupants. Portable alarms are designed to allow it to stand freely on a shelf, bedside table or on top of a cupboard. It does not have to be attached to a wall or ceiling. DO NOT put the alarm on the floor.
      5. Is it safe to fly with a carbon monoxide alarm? What happens if it goes off on a plane?
        Take the batteries out of the alarm whilst flying, if you are able to.
      6. What happens if the alarm goes off abroad?
        Open doors and windows to allow fresh air to come into the room. Leave the premises if necessary. If you are able to, switch off the fuel burning appliances and at a gas meter is applicable.
        Immediately contact the owners of the premises, hotel reception, caravan park owners, holiday rep. etc. If you are feeling ill contact a doctor or ambulance.
      7. What happens if the alarm goes off in the UK?
        Open doors and windows to allow fresh air to come into the room. Leave the premises if necessary. If you are able to, switch off the fuel burning appliances and at a gas meter is applicable.
        Call the national gas emergency number 0800 111 999*
        Contact the owners of the premises, hotel reception, caravan park owners, holiday rep. etc. If you are feeling ill contact a doctor or ambulance.
        *All calls are recorded and may be monitored.
    • Help promote this important safety message. It could save someone's life. Simply click below to join our 'Thunderclap'. Connect your Facebook and/or Twitter account for this one-time mass posting...

       

      More on CO safety

      Read Francesca's story in full